FRONT PAGE - here you will find the last 20 postings about recent conversations. Please pray for these people!

Stranger to Brother

10/31/18          Erik  (video)             about 30



It was just getting dark in the city, and the streetlights had already turned on.  Two strangers approached each other on the deserted sidewalk.  Both were from less populated parts of the country where people often greet strangers, but their time spent in the crowded city had made that effort to be friendly seem futile, and on a lonely sidewalk it could even seem intimidating.  They had learned to avert the eyes, to look down at the sidewalk or down the block past the other.  They were part of a culture defined by earbuds, not colored a discreet black but a loud white, proclaiming “I’m listening to my playlist, don’t intrude upon my own private world!” 

But this was an unusual encounter.  These strangers were actually brothers, and they didn’t even know it.  Would urban social mores dictate that they would never meet?  Would they pass by each other on their way home from work without ever meeting and knowing the encouragement and connection that only family can give?

It’s understandable.  Most of us, especially urbanites, pass by a lot of people in our day and there is no way we can interact with everyone.  But can’t we take time out of our busy schedule once in a while to reach out to a stranger and see what might happen?

I’m glad I did.  I met Eric, a deacon at another church near mine.  We share the same faith, the same mission, the same passion for God’s work in our neighborhood.  We have the same heavenly Father and we are part of the same family.  Spiritually speaking, we really are brothers, though we had just met for the first time.

I began our conversation by basically asking Eric about his story.  “How have you arrived at your current spiritual beliefs?”  It’s a great question to ask anyone if they have the time to answer, a great way to get to know unbelievers and a great way to discover other believers all around us.

Unfortunately, as I’ve been asking this question on the streets, I’ve learned that Jesus’ people are relatively few and far between.   Meeting and learning about the passion and work of other believers and churches in our neighborhood is a special joy, for as Jesus said, “The harvest is plentiful but the laborers are few.”  My only regret is I wish I had thought to pray with Eric, for his family, his church, our neighborhood: to “pray to the Lord of the harvest that He will send (and encourage) laborers in His harvest”.

Well Eric – brother - if you read this, I’m praying for you now!

PS - Thank you Eric for allowing me to record our conversation.  It can be seen HERE


No comments: