FRONT PAGE - here you will find the last 20 postings about recent conversations. Please pray for these people!

Righteous!

11/26/18        Carlos  (click here for video)


Why share the Gospel with an atheist?  After all, doesn’t a person need to believe in God in order to even consider the possibility of having a right relationship with Him?

That thought was on my mind as I found out a little more about Carlos, whom I spoke with on a cold sidewalk.  Carlos told me he is now atheist after growing up with Jehovah Witness parents.  I wanted to simultaneously provide a rationale for God’s existence and a more accurate understanding of the God of the Bible than he had grown up with, but I wasn’t sure where to begin or how much time I would have because of the cold weather.  Because of this I was fairly confused at first, but fortunately Carlos was very patient with both myself and the cold wind.

So many who claim atheism that I talk to come from a religious upbringing, only to decide that they would rather not believe God exists in the first place.  Rather than try to convince them otherwise, maybe my time is better spent correcting a mistaken view of God that they understandably find unbelievable.

What is so unbelievable?  For many like Carlos, I believe it is the mistaken impression that God’s justice can be appeased with human effort.  I can see how a strict Jehovah Witness upbringing could lead a young man to hopelessness in facing a life of never knowing if he has measured up.  Better to deny God’s existence; one could have a sort of righteousness that surpasses that of his religious parents or others who might only be motivated by the threat of hell or the reward of heaven.  He can have a self-righteousness by his own standard, rather than the legalistic standard of the group.

I can’t know if this is what truly motivated Carlos, but I do believe that all spiritual belief including atheism can be separated into two basic categories: that which is based on a self-centered righteousness, and that which is based on God’s righteousness.  In other words, how is it that we can enter into a right relationship with God – by our own efforts or by God’s? 

The Jehovah Witness may view belief in Jesus as important, but one must add good works to that belief in order to be right with God.  The atheist may claim disbelief in God, but just in case God does exist he has the assurance that he was good regardless of lack of belief.  I haven’t met an atheist yet who isn’t concerned about justifying himself as good without God.

But in contrast to the self-righteousness of all other beliefs, the Bible presents God Himself as our source of righteousness: “But now apart from the law the righteousness of God has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. This righteousness is given through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe.”  (Romans 3)

Self-righteousness or righteousness from God:  when it comes down to it, those are our two basic options.

Thanks to Carlos for allowing me to record our conversation.  It can be seen HERE


No comments: