FRONT PAGE - here you will find the last 20 postings about recent conversations. Please pray for these people!

Dividing Line


12/8/18         Pat  (video click HERE)

Where’s the bar?

Not the local watering hole, but the dividing line between in and out, between life and death, heaven and hell.

When it comes to eternity, it’s an important question, but because it seems too complicated or even impossible to determine, many people just give up and leave it to fate.  After all, God is the all-knowing and wise judge, and the decision is His alone.

That seems to have been the conclusion of two people I talked to while Christmas shopping in Naperville.  The first, a man at the bookstore named Pat, believed that one can’t be sure of salvation but that regardless of one’s religious beliefs it depends on how well they have followed the golden rule.  He seemed reasonably sure he follows it well, extending grace to people of all religions as long as they, too, treat others as they would want to be treated.  Right after our conversation I talked with another man who said he would could never make the grade, that he could never be accepted by God after all the evil he has done. 

So did I just see the dividing line in action, or is it more complicated than that? 

It reminds me of the parable Jesus told about two men who also seemed to be on opposite sides of that same line: “Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee (an ultra-religious and self-righteous Jewish group in Jesus’ day) and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other people—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.’  But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner.’

Jesus showed us a “dividing line” that is opposite of what we might expect.  He concluded His parable by saying “I tell you that this man (the humbled tax collector), rather than the other, went home justified before God. For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”

I’m not writing this to single out Pat as a modern-day Pharisee.  The vast majority of people I talk with – over 99 percent – view themselves as worthy of heaven, with the exception of those who have embraced the biblical view of their own sinfulness and their desperate need for the Savior.

Most “modern-day Pharisees” I meet are not outwardly religious, but they are guilty of much the same sin as their biblical counterparts.  Jesus described their sin when he told them “You have let go of the commands of God and are holding on to human traditions.”  (Mark 7)

In our day, these “human traditions” that have replaced God’s commands include an acceptance of every other tradition out there, except for biblical Christianity.  One litmus test of “loving thy neighbor” has become not just accepting the  beliefs of others, but celebrating them, instead of sharing the way to salvation.

The second man I talked to had much in common with the tax collector in Jesus parable, who stood his distance and would not look up to heaven.  I didn’t get his name because he was reluctant to engage in conversation with me except to tell me that he didn’t deserve heaven, and, unfortunately, he cut the conversation short before I could share the hope of the Gospel with him. 

My prayer for both he, and Pat, and all modern-day pharisees is that like all who have embraced the need for Jesus as Savior, they will do exactly what the tax collector did, who “…beat his breast and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner.’

PS - Thank you Pat, for your kindness in allowing me to record our conversation.  My hope for you is salvation through faith in Jesus!  Our conversation can be seen HERE. 

No comments: