FRONT PAGE - here you will find the last 20 postings about recent conversations. Please pray for these people!

Who Shall Be King?

11/20    Alfredo   (see HERE)

“Is it your life, or is it God’s?”

 That was the main question a young man named Alfredo had for me, and it seemed to be the main reason he rejects the Gospel.  “If we are given something”, he reasoned, “shouldn’t we have the right to use it the way we want?”

 Alfredo was very insightful during our conversation in the parking lot outside a fitness club, and I feel like his question gets to the heart of the Gospel.  But I believe the answer isn’t one most people want to hear.

Whose life is this, anyway?

 It’s a question of kingship.  Who sits on the throne of our life?  Are we going to live life on God’s terms, or our own?

 It’s not a new question.  Centuries ago, King Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon was walking on the roof of the royal palace, and said, “Is not this the great Babylon I have built as the royal residence, by my mighty power and for the glory of my majesty?”

 Nebuchadnezzar was clearly living life on his own terms, so God decided to intervene and teach him a little common sense: 

 “Even as the words were on his lips, a voice came from heaven, “This is what is decreed for you, King Nebuchadnezzar: Your royal authority has been taken from you. You will be driven away from people and will live with the wild animals; you will eat grass like the ox. Seven times will pass by for you until you acknowledge that the Most High is sovereign over all kingdoms on earth and gives them to anyone he wishes.”  Immediately what had been said about Nebuchadnezzar was fulfilled. He was driven away from people and ate grass like the ox. His body was drenched with the dew of heaven until his hair grew like the feathers of an eagle and his nails like the claws of a bird.

 The once proud king was reduced to living like an animal until the real King deemed that lessons had been learned:  “At the end of that time, I, Nebuchadnezzar, raised my eyes toward heaven, and my sanity was restored. Then I praised the Most High; I honored and glorified him who lives forever…. When my sanity returned to me, so did my honor and glory and kingdom. My advisers and nobles sought me out, and I was restored as head of my kingdom, with even greater honor than before.  Now I, Nebuchadnezzar, praise and glorify and honor the King of heaven. All his acts are just and true, and he is able to humble the proud.”  (Daniel 4:28-37)

 God taught Nebuchadnezzar a valuable lesson, one which Alfredo also needs to learn.  Later in our conversation he had said that God would have every right to tell him what to do, and knows he may suffer the consequence for his actions he deserves.  But, like King Nebuchadnezzar, I don’t think he realizes how real these consequences are for living life on his own terms rather than giving God the glory that only He deserves.

 Thanks, Alfredo, for allowing me to record our conversation.  It can be seen on my YouTube channel.  https://youtu.be/JTPBziJegd8

 

No comments: