FRONT PAGE - here you will find the last 20 postings about recent conversations. Please pray for these people!

A High Calling

12/21 Ken


No hesitation. No doubts. No hint of embarrassment. A clear message.

Even though I had caught him rather off guard as he unloaded his cart in the parking lot, a man named Ken was easily able to articulate his faith and share the Gospel message as I asked him general questions about his beliefs.

Why such a difference from most other Christians I have met in my Gospel outreach conversations?

Ken teaches Sunday school.

As a teacher myself I know that probably the best way to learn something well yourself is by teaching it to others. Though I have a whole lot of room for improvement, my outreach conversations and the theology class I teach have really helped me become confident at being able to communicate the Gospel with others.

As a Christian, part of that motivation comes from a warning for teachers found in James 3: “Not many of you should become teachers, my fellow believers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly.”

The rest of the passage goes on to tell of the great influence a teacher can have, like the role of a rudder on a great ship, so it makes sense that teachers will be held to a higher standard of judgement. Between this fact and the truth that as “ambassadors for Christ” we represent our most high King, I am motivated to serve Him with excellence, or at least to strive to do so.

Teaching is a high calling, but lest the gravity by which we might be judged scare potential teachers away from their potential, we have the very next verse in James to reassure us that it’s okay that we aren’t perfect: “We all stumble in many ways. Anyone who is never at fault in what they say is perfect, able to keep their whole body in check.”

All teachers have to start somewhere, and local churches provide many such opportunities, from gospel outreach, to leading a small group or teaching a Sunday school class.

Thank you Ken, for your obedient service as a teacher! I think a later verse in James 3 might be referring to faithful teachers like you: “Who is wise and understanding among you? Let them show it by their good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom.”

See our conversation at https://youtu.be/0jAt7ve4o90 on my YouTube Channel.

No comments: