FRONT PAGE - here you will find the last 20 postings about recent conversations. Please pray for these people!

What is the worst thing that can happen in a Gospel outreach conversation?

Let’s face it.  The fear of the unknown can keep us from doing many new things we know we should do and hopefully want to do in living out our Christian faith.  We fixate on the worst possibility, and fail to focus on the best.

So I want to help help alleviate that fear and show what would happen were you to dive into the unknown and strike up a conversation with a random stranger for the purpose of sharing the Gospel.  I want to show you what I would consider to be my worst-case scenario, based on hundreds of outreach conversations.

Now, granted, many worst outcomes can happen, and in my wild imagination I’ve considered them all, including being beaten or killed.  But I think these sorts of things can happen at any time, regardless of what we are doing - whether we are driving a car, or walking down a sidewalk - but I wouldn’t say they are a direct result of Gospel outreach.  So I’ll just stick with the worst thing that has happened to me in my experiences so far.

And my worst experience really hasn’t been that bad.  It is what happens when I meet a certain type of person who has a mixture of being both very talkative and so susceptible to crazy conspiracy theories that no truth claims are to be trusted, including the claims of Christianity.  I can’t get a word in edgewise, but if I do or even if I am only able to ask a meaningful question, the person I am talking with quickly moves on to another topic anyway.

That’s what happened in my conversation with a man named Dan at the park, and with others like him in various conversations over the years.  He shut down my ability to share Gospel truths on my part, and left me feeling both frustrated and foolish as a result.

That’s it?  That’s my worst experience?  Pretty much!  I’m sure I could seek out more difficult people or groups to reach out to, but my purpose has not been to find the greatest challenge, but simply to reach out as I go about my everyday business and set an example most anyone could follow.

Of course, Jesus is our ultimate example, and may I point out that He did indeed experience the worst possible scenario, as he was tortured and killed on a Roman cross for his faithful obedience in bringing the Gospel – Himself – to a world that so desperately needs it but often won’t receive it.

How did Jesus overcome His fear of the unknown in carrying out His mission?  It wasn’t by focusing on his fears.  Jesus’ focus was on the best outcome, not the worst - “For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.” (Hebrews 12)

I know Jesus generally knew of the fate that awaited him in Jerusalem, but I’ve got to believe also that in His divine humanity He probably didn’t know the details.  And neither do we every time we obediently carry the Gospel forward.  We may fear the unpredictable reaction of a stranger, but how much more do we fear the unpredictable reaction of a friend or loved one, and the relationship we could possibly lose.

As Jesus put his focus on the “joy set before Him”, let us be obedient to the command that formed the first part of that same passage – “Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith…”  Let’s not focus on the worst possibility, but the best, the possibility that both ourselves and the person we are reaching out to may draw a little closer to Jesus – the best possible outcome ever.

Thanks, Dan for allowing me to record our conversation.  It can be seen at https://youtu.be/wVFAGJIQYW4 on my Youtube channel.

No comments: