FRONT PAGE - here you will find the last 20 postings about recent conversations. Please pray for these people!

Identity Politics, Transgender, Martin Luther King, Repentance, LGBT, Civility


6/21/19             Meisha  (see video HERE)

Other than looking for people who likely have time for a conversation, I don’t get to choose whom the Lord gives me to talk with as I try to initiate gospel conversations on the street.  Neither do we get to choose who walks into the doors of our churches on a given Sunday morning.  So are we ready to receive whomever that might be in love, even if that might mean tough love?

I don’t notice a lot of details about the people I talk with, especially at first, but I was surprised when the person with the heavy facial hair I was speaking with said his name was “Meisha”, which I always understood to be a woman’s name.  I was ready for a conversation about his religious beliefs, but right away Meisha wanted to talk about his experiences with sexual identity growing up, and understandably so because it greatly affected his understanding of God and church.

Meisha grew up as a girl with same-sex attraction and masculine tendencies.  With the help of hormones, he began to transition to a male identity three years ago, at the age of 20.  I will refer to him here using male pronouns, since that was my first impression and he eventually wants to be thought of and referred to as male.

Meisha described a childhood of rejection and being bullied for being a girl with masculine tendencies, to the point of a serious suicide attempt by hanging at 17 years of age, and from which he believes God miraculously rescued him.  Now, at age 23, he doesn’t believe the Bible to be an accurate rendition of God’s word, so he has felt the need to decide spiritual truth for himself and favors a belief in “some sort of higher being” and reincarnation after we die.  He doesn’t attend church, but overall has a positive impression of Christians and graciously refuses to lump all Christians in the same category as the few negative and condemning individuals he has encountered.

I was wondering what Meisha bases his identity on.  Does he buy into the “identity politics” of our day and see himself primarily as a member of an oppressed minority group?  One thing I think we both strongly agreed upon was Martin Luther King’s admonition to identify people according to the content of their character rather than the color of their skin or other outward characteristics.  And what I found in Meisha was a strong, confident character who refuses to be a victim, who refuses to blame God or others for his problems, and who works to overcome obstacles and difficulties in life with a positive attitude and a “can do” spirit.

I try to avoid labels, but I would identify myself as an “ultra-conservative” in the sense that, as conservatives want to return to the values and standards of an earlier time, I want to go way, way back and return to the relationship we as humans had with God before the fall.  I would echo Jesus’ prayer that “thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven” and say that my hope as a Christian is that all people could know the loving and intimate relationship with God lost and broken by sin.

We are all sinners in need of redemption and peace with God, and that would include Meisha.  So, although I had a lot of questions about his experiences as a transsexual, I didn’t want that to be the focus of our conversation just as I don’t believe it should be the focus of one’s identity.  We went on to talk about gospel truths - including hard and difficult ones such as sin, judgment, and hell – and we were able to do it in a respectful and good natured way for several reasons:

One, I am thankful for the strength of Meisha’s character; his confidence, desire to learn, openness to new ideas, humility, and his ability to talk about opposing viewpoints without feeling threatened, triggered, attacked or personally offended.

Two, as a Christian I see my own conversion and salvation as entirely a miraculous gift of God.  Although I definitely want that for everyone and want to share that, I also recognize it is a work of the Holy Spirit.  I feel privileged in the possibility that I might participate in God’s work in the lives of people I talk with, but in the end it is God’s work and I feel no pressure to “get results”.  This trust and dependence on the Holy Spirit frees me up to have open, honest, and even joyful conversations with people from any sort of background or belief.

Third, both Meisha and I understood that active listening – the head nods, the verbal encouragement, the questions – does not necessarily mean we are agreeing or buying into what the other person is saying.  I believe we were truly having the conversation to understand one another and to be understood, without one side winning and the other losing.  It wasn’t a debate; it was a win for both of us.


So Church, can you have conversations like this at your local gathering of believers with the outsiders who step in your doors every now and then?  Are you ready to make the stranger feel welcome and loved?  Are you ready to have these kinds of conversations in the streets and in the marketplace?  My heart’s desire and prayer is that more Christians will take those first awkward but faithful steps in that direction.
(Thanks Meisha, for allowing me to record our conversation!  We talked for well over an hour, but unfortunately my camera battery died at 35 minutes.)  The video can be seen on my YouTube channel HERE at https://youtu.be/J_T4x_tUX6s

No comments: