FRONT PAGE - here you will find the last 20 postings about recent conversations. Please pray for these people!

Why Bible? Spiritual Disciplines, Revelation of God, Biblical Narrative


7/10/19        Lou  (see video HERE)



Do I take vacations from my daily outreach efforts?  Short answer – no.  But there is a longer answer worth explaining.


In order to stay connected in fellowship with our Father in heaven, Christians find we must practice daily disciplines such as prayer and reading the Bible. Other regular disciplines that keep us connected with God include church attendance and other gatherings of fellowship with believers such as Bible studies, taking in the preaching and teaching of more mature and knowledgeable believers  including pastors and Christian authors, and regular times of fasting along with more focused and intentional prayer.

We need these disciplines because the temptations of the world, the flesh, and the devil that surround us are like a weight that is constantly pulling us down, and God designed us in such a way that we require fresh and ongoing fellowship with Himself and fellow believers in order to stay connected and growing in our faith.  God has redeemed us from the alienation and spiritual death of sin not just for our eternal salvation, but for our ongoing relationship with Himself and our family of believers here and now.

I have come to view evangelism as one of those spiritual disciplines.  A discipline is something we do through disciplined effort, regardless of how we feel emotionally.  I admit I don’t feel like getting up early to pray or read my Bible, and I must admit that I don’t always feel refreshed by these disciplines on a daily basis.  But I wouldn’t trade the benefits of these activities over time for the world, and I have come to see my daily witnessing efforts in much the same way.

I was on vacation, spending time at the beach in North Carolina, just after the end of another busy school year.  It was a great chance to unwind personally and to spend quality time with my wife while visiting my mother-in-law.  It was tempting to put my outreach efforts on hold for a few days.  But I know from experience that just as my spiritual life becomes increasingly dry and stale, or worse, without prayer and Bible study, so it becomes dry without regularly sharing my faith and allowing the Holy Spirit to flow through me into the lives of others as I do so.

Every time I share the Gospel with someone new, I’m reminded of the blessings I have in Christ.  I’m not discouraged by their lack of faith or their negative response, because I trust that God is and will be working in their life.  I almost always leave the conversation encouraged, either by it’s reminder of my spiritual blessings in comparison, or by God’s current work in the lives of believers.  I believe this is what Paul referred to in Philemon, when he wrote "I pray that you may be active in sharing your faith, so that you will have a full understanding of every good thing we have in Christ."

It’s not that I can’t take a break from witnessing – I just don’t want to.  Not only does it have a spiritual benefit for me personally, but I take joy in meeting new people and helping and encouraging them take steps of faith.  So while on a routine errand from my mother-in-laws house, I initiated a spiritual conversation with a guy named Lou.  Much of our conversation focused on the Bible and it’s reliability and importance, which we need to be assured of if we are to become committed to reading it.  I hope I helped Lou toward that spiritual discipline, and I know he helped me with mine!


Thanks, Lou, for letting this crazy Northerner record our conversation!  It can be seen on my YouTube channel HERE



No comments: