FRONT PAGE - here you will find the last 20 postings about recent conversations. Please pray for these people!

Looking Backward, Living Forward, Random Gunfire, Comfort Zones, Life and Death, Friendly Reminder

1/29/20     Michael  (to see video, click HERE)


We might look back once in a while, but life must be lived forwards.  We can’t be sure of what’s around the next bend on this journey, so we need to be ready to get pulled out of our comfort zones at a moment’s notice.

I walked into a coffeeshop and found a young man, Michael, multitasking on two computer screens, and from the concentrated look on his face I think he was lost in his comfort zone. 

I worked up the courage to interrupt his train of thought. “Excuse me” I said. “I see you are busy and don’t mean to bother you, but sometimes I find people don’t mind taking a break now and then.  I’m wondering if I can record a conversation for my YouTube channel”.
 
I explained that I attend a local church and that I ask people about their beliefs and try to set a good example of positive dialogue with people from a variety of backgrounds and beliefs.  Michael kindly agreed to a conversation and began to clear the table to make room for my camera.  I told him I would begin by asking what he believes happens after we die, followed by other questions about how he arrived at whatever beliefs or doubts he might have.

I turned on my camera and he began to explain some of his thoughts.  After the initial awkwardness of being pulled out of his comfort zone by a stranger making an unusual request, he settled into an explanation about his beliefs, how he was raised in the catholic faith but was having serious doubts.

Just then several gunshots rang out from the street in front of the coffee shop.  We both looked to see a young man ducking and dodging from the shots, then running away down the sidewalk, while a black sedan sped away down a side street. 

In hindsight, there are many things I could have and should have done, but when something so unexpected happens it’s hard to think of all the implications.  We saw the young man run away down the sidewalk, but I didn’t think until later that he still might have been wounded, or that maybe there were bystanders down the street that were hit and needed help. 

What did hit us fairly quickly was how close we had been to a life and death situation, that the young man could have died and if he had run toward us we would have been in the line of fire ourselves.  We turned back to our conversation, shaken up a little bit and commenting on how random life can be.

Our conversation seemed a little more urgent after this, punctuated I think with some of these afterthoughts and realizations, as well as the arrival of the police for questioning witnesses.  Michael did his best to carry on, explaining that he didn’t really think it matters what religion one believes in as long as they do their best to be kind and treat others as they would like to be treated.

I began to ask how he would measure up when judged by biblical standards.  Has he lied?  Stolen?  Hurt others with his words (murder) or lusted in his thoughts (adultery)?  These are all uncomfortable questions if one is being honest, and I believe Michael was honest.  He also honestly but kindly told me this probably wasn’t the best way to make my point, especially with the camera in his face.  Combined with the circumstances and all the distracting thoughts, I wondered if he was right.

But I think there is a point to be made.  Much as churches try to make religion comfortable, the Gospel is meant to challenge us, to pull us out of our comfort zones and encourage us to step out on faith.  Thoughts of “Judgement Day” are meant to alarm us, to let us know we will one day be held accountable, and the randomness of life lets all of us know that today could be that day. 

For many of us, death will come unexpectedly, and we will stand before God’s judgement throne exposed, feeling naked much like Adam and Eve or feeling like all our actions were recorded for the world to see.  We will be forced to look back on our lives without being able to change anything because life must be lived forward. 

And, looking forward, either heaven or hell will await us, “For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.”  Much as we will want to erase any record of our sins at that time, the only way they might be “erased” will be through forgiveness; not a forgiveness we might earn by good or religious deeds, but by the forgiveness Jesus paid for with his life and which we can receive as a gift through faith.

I hope I don’t have to be this close to life and death again but if I am I hope this incident could help me respond more appropriately the next time.  And I hope for Michael it can be a friendly reminder of the need to prepare for our eternal future as well.

Thanks, Michael, for kindly allowing me to record our conversation.  It can be seen at https://youtu.be/6lCDyH8RyWQ

No comments: