FRONT PAGE - here you will find the last 20 postings about recent conversations. Please pray for these people!

Buffet Table, Religious Pluralism, Antagonism For God, Sexual Immorality, Wrath of God, True Love


2/4/20   Semaj,  (see HERE)

It wasn’t until the very end of a rather frustrating conversation when I finally realized what I believe to be the source of that frustration.  I had reached out to initiate a gospel outreach conversation with Semaj, 32, who told me this was his given name and that it is actually James spelled backward.  Perhaps his parents like to defy convention; it certainly seemed to be the case with their approach to religion.  Semaj told me they had raised him without reference to any one religion, but belief in a sort of buffet table mix of spiritual ideas from a variety of religions.

Semaj was very friendly and willing to share his beliefs, which he did with the enthusiasm of someone who is very sure and excited about telling what is very important to them.  I could tell religion is something he has talked about and studied some before reaching his conclusions, so I don’t think he was just ill-informed about Christianity.  I guess what I found frustrating was that he had told me he was agnostic, which I took as open-minded, and that he respects all religions, but I found him to particularly reject the key tenants of Christianity even though it didn’t seem like he should have had motive to do so.

It seemed like Semaj categorically rejected every core belief about God’s existence and character, preferring instead to hold on to beliefs from other religions that preserved his independence from God and his right to do as he pleased.  If there was a question about God’s character, such as why God would be jealous, he chose to make critical, man-centered assumptions.  He would give the benefit of doubt to beliefs from other religions, while biblical Christianity was held to an impossibly high standard for critique.
 
This is not at all unusual, but I can usually tell the source of someone’s antagonism toward God – some foundational belief or sin they want to hold on to that creates a negative filter by which to see all the things of God.  I finally saw what it was just as we about to part ways – Semaj told me he is gay, and involved in a long-term relationship with his boyfriend.  Just as anyone who wants to hold on to a particular sinful habit or lifestyle, I believe Semaj has built up a lifetime of excuses to reject Christianity and try to justify his own behavior as he designed his own belief system from the alternative beliefs available to him.

I told Semaj what this “designer religion” practice is called – idolatry- and how it is possibly the most serious sin described in the Bible because of the way it misrepresents God with a cheap substitute of our own making.  Maybe that’s why we are told to “put to death” sexual sin in particular as described in Colossians 3:5:  “Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry.”  It causes us not only to form untrue images about God but to treat our fleshly desires as more important than our relationship with the true God.

So was I being a “hater” for warning Semaj about his sin of idolatry?  Or was I looking out for his best interest even though he didn’t want to hear it?  I believe that just as a fireman must convince people their building is on fire in order for them to want to evacuate immediately, so the loving but difficult thing we must do is to tell people what they don’t want to hear before it’s too late.  In this case, Paul gave the warning just after that passage in Colossians: “Because of these, the wrath of God is coming.” (vs.6)
 
Semaj gave me the classic complaint given by those involved in sexual sin – “Why would God limit the way I choose to love others?”  God is love, yes, and everyone wants to take heaping portions from that part of the buffet table of religious beliefs and ideas.  But God’s love takes many forms: His love for holiness, His love for purity and right living, and His love for a just punishment for sin included.  I’m glad I was also able to tell Semaj about the love of God expressed in Jesus at the cross, even though Semaj rejected the idea.   Unfortunately, his confusion of physical pleasure for love has him limiting the way God expresses His love too.

‘Thanks Semaj, for allowing me to record our conversation!  It can be seen HERE at https://youtu.be/cQDluClZ_AM

No comments: