FRONT PAGE - here you will find the last 20 postings about recent conversations. Please pray for these people!

Memory for Details, Scripture Memorization, Shortcomings, Spiritual Gifts and God-given Talents

1/27/20      Paul  (to see our conversation, click HERE)


Are you blessed with a memory for details?  I’m not.  So when it comes to scripture memorization and pulling up from memory relevant scripture passages, chapter and verse, it just doesn’t happen for me, even though I’ve memorized dozens if not hundreds of passages at one time or another.

I was painfully reminded of this shortcoming during a conversation with Paul, a fellow believer, who is able to bring up relevant passages rapid-fire during the course of a conversation without blinking an eye.  I’m tempted to think I have no business initiating gospel outreach conversations as I do; maybe I should better spend my time reading and memorizing God’s word first.

After all, God’s word is “...alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.”  (Heb. 4:12) 

A promise from the Old Testament tells us that just as rain and snow bring life to the earth, “...so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.”  (Isaiah 55:11)
If I had the ability, wouldn’t it just be better to go out and quote one Bible passage after another to people, and since I can’t remember them very well shouldn’t I just read them to people directly from the Bible rather than my own lame efforts to communicate its truths?

During our conversation, Paul had so quickly shared so many passages that even though I was familiar them, it was still hard to follow.  I can’t imagine a newcomer to the Bible trying to make sense of hearing Bible passages this way. 

But even though we are told of the tremendous power of God’s Word, we are also cautioned that it makes little sense to unbelievers.  1 Corinthians 2:14 tells us “The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit.”

Even Jesus’ disciples, living in His presence, didn’t really understand His teaching until He visited them after His resurrection where we are told “Then he opened their minds so they could understand the Scriptures.”  (Luke 24:45)  Just the same, he had also invested three years walking and talking with them, and earlier that very day on the road to Emaus, “...beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, he explained to them what was said in all the Scriptures concerning himself.”

So where does that leave me and others like me who have trouble quoting Bible passages as needed?  There are other skills important to teaching the Bible and sharing the Gospel.  Patience.  Kindness.  The ability to be a good listener.  The wisdom of asking good questions and providing good counsel.  The boldness it takes to initiating conversations with a stranger.  The sensitivity to be careful not to “wear out my welcome”.

Later in our conversation, Paul and I talked about how we can better share the Gospel given our relative God-given gifts and talents.  We both agreed of course that it’s much more than just reading or citing the Bible and expecting our listeners to take it all to heart.  They need us to patiently explain it and help them apply it to their lives.  They need evangelists with the heart of a teacher, a counselor and a pastor.

Wonderful to meet you Paul and thanks for allowing me to record our conversation!  It can be seen at https://youtu.be/SgUFKKt9Ly4

No comments: