FRONT PAGE - here you will find the last 20 postings about recent conversations. Please pray for these people!

School of the Art Institute, Passionate Idealism, Clowns, Practical Reality, Save the World

1/23/20    Justin (to see video, click HERE)



Can clowns save the world?

Young people are expected to explore the outer reaches of their creativity and the possibilities of who they can be as independent adults, and this is very much part of the program at Chicago’s School of the Art Institute.

I had an interesting conversation with one of its very passionate students – Justin – recently as I happened upon him on a cold sidewalk. Justin became so animated and engaged in sharing his ideas about life and the purpose of human existence that he scarcely noticed the cold, while I was freezing and needed to cut our conversation short even though I’m from Minnesota and was better dressed for the weather than he was.

What really warmed him from within out there in the cold was talking about his passion for acting and dressing like a clown, and the sense of freedom from normal human constraints and expectations it gave him. I found myself reacting like the old fuddy-duds in a commercial I’ve seen recently – “Yes, but what will you do for a living?”

Justin shared a lot of ideas about how he can help change the world through teaching people to live in the moment with the innocence of a clown. It all seemed very theoretical and idealistic, and I wondered what that would look like on a practical, daily basis?

Trying out new ideas, coloring outside the lines, experimenting with a different persona – it all might be acceptable among like-minded young people in an idealistic school environment created and paid for by others (or by future debt), but what will it look like in the more practical adult working world?

Since my purpose was to stop and initiate conversations about the Gospel on my way home from work, maybe I need to ask myself some of the same questions. Is Christianity practical on a daily basis? Does it help pay the rent, not to mention help change the world? Am I accomplishing anything by being a “clown” – what Paul referred to as being a “fool for Christ”, or is it all a futile activity only well-to-do people can afford?

I think many young people today are trying to find significance outside of religion because it is increasingly seen as irrelevant, and they are turning to the narrative so popular in the superhero cartoons they were raised with – somehow we need to find a way to “save the world”. Justin had already tried the “green” route – making a difference through various personal acts to save the environment, and is now moving on to other ideas.

So can "clowns" save the world? I told Justin about a church nearby with a helpful motto hanging on its walls – “The Gospel changes people. People change the world.” And that’s been my experience. The Gospel does indeed change people, beginning with ourselves, and motivates us to go out and change the world in an infinite variety of creative ways depending on the individual set of gifts and talents God has given each of us.

Ephesians 2:8-9 tells us how that change begins in us – through God’s grace and not by our own efforts – and vs. 10 then explains our purpose – “For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.”

Justin, passionately creative and idealistic as you are, I’m sorry I let the cold cut our conversation short, but I really would like to tell you more about what it can mean to live in a right relationship with our Creator, and to participate as a significant part of His handiwork.


Thanks Justin, for allowing me to record our conversation! It can be seen at https://youtu.be/3kLLxUcRcso on my YouTube channel.


No comments: