FRONT PAGE - here you will find the last 20 postings about recent conversations. Please pray for these people!

The Peace Than Passes All Understanding


Do you have the “peace that passes all understanding”? What does that even mean?

Well, by definition, I can’t answer that in a way anyone else can understand, but apparently it’s worth mentioning, as Paul did in Philippians 4:7 – “And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." I believe it’s one of those things that can’t be attained by direct pursuit (true happiness would be another), but rather can only be realized as a by-product of other pursuits. Yet many worldly philosophies and methodologies do view a personal sense of peace of mind as a worthy goal to pursue directly. For some the method of choice might be yoga or transcendental meditation, for others, psychedelic drug use. For a young man named Collin, it is the practical teaching of what he calls “secular Buddhism”. This is, basically, Buddhism without its spiritual or superstitious aspects, and focuses on just those attitudes and actions that help one find peace in the here and now, without regard to the future. Collin described it as a pragmatic approach to the Buddhist “eight-fold path” of right view, intention, speech, action, livelihood, effort, mindfulness and concentration. Often the people I talk with are very positive and enthusiastic about a particular lifestyle or philosophy like this that gives them day to day peace and happiness. Some of these are actually spiritually dangerous because in their emphasis on emptying the mind of stress they leave people open to other, even worse, spiritual problems. But for the most part there are usually at least some aspects to their approach that are indeed good and helpful. What I would question and warn people about, however, would be one of motive. Is personal peace and happiness really our highest purpose in life? I don’t know that the Bible tells us the meaning of life in a neat soundbite, but it does give us clues. Ephesians 2:10 tells us: “For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.” Isaiah 43:7 tells us: “ ‘Bring all who claim me as their God, for I have made them for my glory. It was I who created them.’” We were created to serve and bring glory to God, and I believe Jesus tells us we are headed for disaster if we seek to serve ourselves, even if we are simply pursuing peace or happiness: “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.” And Jesus promises that the things we need in life – food, clothes, shelter, and yes, peace and happiness, come indirectly as we put God first in our lives: “But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.” Matthew 6:33 Paul could write of this peace that passes all understanding, because he too was seeking God’s Kingdom rather than his own selfish interests. He went on to write “ I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need.” He then gave the secret to his indescribable peace: “I can do all things through him (Christ) who strengthens me.” (Philippians 4:13) It might be the peace that “passes all understanding” when we try to put it into words, but it’s a peace that’s meant to be lived and experienced personally, not reduced to some impersonal concept that can be simply explained or described and understood by outsiders. Thanks, Collin, for allowing me to record our conversation! It can be seen on my YouTube channel at YouTube.com/c/jeffreiman https://youtu.be/0uHsWJ_lv1Q

No comments: